Upgrading disks on a legacy Win2008 R2 server

Der letzte Beitrag zu diesem Thema ist mehr als 180 Tage alt. Bitte erstelle einen neuen Beitrag zu Deiner Anfrage!

Empfohlene Beiträge

Hi all,

We have a legacy Fujitsu Server with just 4x HDD bays (4x disks) - we have 2 mirrored arrays and one of the array is small and we need to upgrade the disks with larger disks but retaining all the data inside.

As far as I know the below procedure should work well:

TAKE A FULL BACKUP TO AN EXTERNAL USB DEVICE USING WINDOWS BACKUP

TURN OFF SERVER AND TAKE OUT THE TWO DRIVES WHICH ARE GOING TO BE REPLACED

WHILE SERVER IS OFF, REPLACE WITH LARGE HARD DRIVES (2x IDENTICAL DRIVES)

TURN ON SERVER

GET INTO RAID CONTROLLER AND MAKE SURE THAT NEW DRIVES FORM A NEW MIRRORED ARRAY - OTHER ARRAY HOSTING OS IS NOT TO BE TOUCHED

SAVE CONFIG AND REBOOT SERVER

ONCE SERVER BOOTS UP TO RECOVER ALL THE DATA FROM THE BACKUP TO THE NEW DRIVES RETAINING ALL NTFS PERMISSIONS ETC FROM THE OLD DRIVES

Its been a long time since I did the above but as far as I know it should work well - can you guys confirm please?

Thanks a bunch
R

Hi,

depending on the function of your raid controller I would go a differnet way

1. Backup (always a good idea)
  2. remove one drive from first array and replace it with the bigger one
  3. let the array rebuild
  4. remove the second drive from the first array and replace it with the bigger one
  5. let the array rebuild
  6. use the raid controller function to expand the existing array to use the full disc
  7. start with the second array ... same procedure

I did that a few times on HP servers with SmartArray controllers. Perhaps your Fujitsu Server controller have the same functionality

Der letzte Beitrag zu diesem Thema ist mehr als 180 Tage alt. Bitte erstelle einen neuen Beitrag zu Deiner Anfrage!

Schreibe einen Kommentar

Du kannst jetzt antworten und Dich später registrieren. Falls Du bereits ein Mitglied bist, logge Dich jetzt ein.

Gast
Auf dieses Thema antworten...

×   Du hast formatierten Text eingefügt.   Formatierung jetzt entfernen

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Dein Link wurde automatisch eingebettet.   Einbetten rückgängig machen und als Link darstellen

×   Dein vorheriger Inhalt wurde wiederhergestellt.   Editor-Fenster leeren

×   Du kannst Bilder nicht direkt einfügen. Lade Bilder hoch oder lade sie von einer URL.

• Neu erstellen...